Founder of Retroavangarda
Anna Kłos, born in Warsaw. Graphic artist, academic lecturer, curator of exhibitions. She finished her diploma in poster and graduated with honors in 1999 under professor Julian Pałka and professor Mieczysław Wasilewski. In the same year she has begun her didactic work. In 2007 she got her phD degree at Art Faculty of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin for defending her doctoral thesis ‘Dadaist collage as an inspiration for my artwork’.In 2002-2010 she worked with the publishing company Bertelsmann Media where she designed hundreds of book covers and layouts mainly for high-volume titles. She took part in numerous group exhibitions.
Since 2008 she has been teaching graphic design and giving lectures on history of graphic design in Warsaw School of Information Technology. Since 2010 she has acted as proxy of the dean at the Graphic Design faculty, she is also a member of the Senate of the University and of the Faculty Council for the term 2017-21. She is the promoter of over 200 diploma theses at undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate studies. In 2012 she received the Medal of the National Education Commission. She has been in jury of a number of international graphic design contests such as: International Poster Competition ‘Escucha mi Voz’ organized in Mexico under the patronage on UNESCO (2017), international poster contest Ecuador Poster Bienal (2018), International Illustrator Contest for Students SIGNÚ (2019), International Illustration Biennale in Ukraine (2020).
Anna Kłos is the founder and owner of Retroavangarda project, which combines education and art promotion, especially in the international field. As part of the project, Anna Kłos has recently realized several large exhibitions, which she was the curator and organizer of, i.e. Post-Ecuador Poster Bienal, International Collage Exhibition, Contemporary Peruvian Art Exhibition, International Geometry Exhibition and more.
Since 2019 Anna Kłos has also been the curator of WIT Gallery in Warsaw, located in the school’s building. The main goal of WIT Gallery is promoting the art of students and professors and cooperation with other art academies from both Poland and abroad.
Selected achievements in 2016–2020
- Anna Kłos – collages, solo exhibition, Galeria Korekta, Warsaw, 2016, curator: dr hab. Mlącki
- ‘TYPE + TEXT’ – International Festival of Typography 2016, Guilin Huaqiao Arts Museum Guilin, China
- 2016 KSBDA Fall International Invitational Exhibition, Chungbuk National University in Chungju city, South Korea
- 2016 KSBDA Kuala Lumpur International Invitational Exhibition, Galeri Seni Universiti Malya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2017 KSBDA Mexico City International Invitational Exhibition, Mexico City
- China Printing Biennale 2018, Posters Invitation Exhibition, Beijing Etrong International Exhibition & Convention Center, Beijing, China
- First Isfahan Graphic Design Event 2019, Isfahan, Iran
- International Art Education Achievement Exhibition 2019, China
- COW – International Design Biennale 2019, Ukraine
- ‘The Year of Tolerance’ Emirates International Poster Festival [EIPF], 2019, Dubai
- 5th International Poster Contest 2019, Museum of Typography, Chania, Greece
- International Design Education Expo and Conference 2019 Exhibition (IDEEC)
Hammer Theatre in San José, California, USA
- Bauhaus 100 in Peru: Cusco, Galeria Alianza Francesca, Arequipa, Centro Cultural Casa Blanca, Lima, Centro Cultural Imarpu, (2019)
- International Festival of Contemporary Collage in Slovenia (KAOS Festival) 2019
- ‘Brücken – Puentes’ IMARPU Cultural Space, Lima, Peru, 2019
- Typo-collages, solo exhibition, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa, 2020, curator: prof. M. Wasilewski
- Ineinander, solo exhibition, Galeria Korekta, Warszawa, 2020, curator: dr hab. D. Mlącki
- International Collage Art Exhibition, Retroavangarda Gallery, Warsaw, 2019
- 6 Moscow Poster Competition 2020
- 2nd Emirates International Poster Festival, Dubai
- The 3rd Exhibition of Contemporary International Ink Design – 2020 Beijing International Design Week, China
- 5 Biennale Internationalle de poesie visuelle, France, 2021
- The Gwangiu Institute Design Biennale International Poster Exhibition, South Korea, 2021
- SPUTNIK 21, Supremacy and Construction, José Carlos Mariátegui Museum, Lima, Peru, 2021
- International Typography Exhibition, Ulsan, South Korea, 2021
- Post Ecuador Poster Bienal, Centrum Spotkania Kultur, Lublin, 16.03.–16.04.2017
- Post Ecuador Poster Bienal, Galeria -1, Centrum Olimpijskie, Warszawa, 10.05.– 05.2017
- Jacek Gowik – Paintings, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa, 2018
- Ryszard Gieryszewski – Graphics, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa, 2018
- International Exhibition of Digital Illustration 2019, Galeria WIT, Warszawa
- ‘From This Place. Posters. 2004 – 2019’. Individual poster exhibition by German Jimenez at the University of Santander – UDES, Bogota
- ‘Abstraction and Geometry’ – an international exhibition of contemporary art, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa
- Andrzej Wieteszka – posters, solo exhibition, Galeria WIT, Warszawa, 2019
- Post Ecuador Poster Bienal, 2019, Centrum Spotkania Kultur, Lublin, 07.03.– 05.05.2019
- 2019 SJSU BFA Graphic Design Exhibition. Invited Summer International Workshop Student Portfolio at Galeria WIT, Galeria WIT, Warszawa
- International Collage Art Exhibition 2019, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa
- Contemporary Peruvian Art Exhibition, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa
- ‘I, Metropolis’ – international exhibition of social poster, Galeria WIT, Warszawa
- International Collage Art Exhibition 2020, Galeria Retroavangarda, Warszawa
- Alvaro Sánchez – solo exhibition, Retroavangarda Gallery, Warsaw, 2021
- Koji Nagai – solo exhibition, Retroavangarda Gallery, Warsaw, 2021
- Grzegorz Pabel – solo exhibition, Retroavangarda Gallery, Warsaw, 2021
- ‘Poster Stellars’ International Poster Competition, Galeria WIT, Warsaw, 2021
- ‘Escucha mi Voz’ – International Poster Contest in Mexico under the patronage of UNESCO
- Ecuador Poster Bienal 2018
- SIGNÚ International Competition of Illustration for Students 2019
- EtnoKraków/Rozstaje 2020 – International Poster Contest
- REINICIA ‘Designers with Heart’ 2020
- SIGNÚ International Photography Competition for Students 2020
- International Illustration Biennale 2020, Ukraine
- Wonders 2020 International Poster Competition, Canada
- SIGNÚ International Poster Competition for Students 2021
- BOLU, International Poster Design Competition, Turkey, 2021
- ‘Poster Stellars’ International Poster Competition, 2021
- Ecuador Poster Bienal – member of the organizing committee
- C-IDEA (China International Design Educator Association)
- Member of Borderless Graphic Designers Gropup / Canada
- RINC International Network of Visual Creators, Mexico
- Executive Director CEIDA (China Europe International Design Culture Association)
Gallery of works by Anna Kłos
Non-profit educational project
Retroavangarda is a non-profit project aiming to promote artists from all over the world on the Internet and by organizing real life exhibitions. At first the exhibitions were organized in renowned, befriended galleries and since April 2018 Retroavangada has its own place at its disposal in Jerozolimskie Business Park – modern office complex in the centre of Warsaw, placing itself in the worldwide trend of promoting good contemporary art in attractive public spaces. At the same time, Retroavangarda promotes artists through the virtual “Gallery of Friends” and social media. Retroavangarda’s fanpage on Facebook is one of the leaders on the subject of international contemporary art and has over 130 000 fans.
If you would like to support us, help in development of Retroavangarda project or you have an interesting cooperation proposal – let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org
Jerozolimskie Business Park
Contemporary Art Gallery in Warsaw
Retroavangarda Gallery is located in the center of Warsaw, in the modern space of building D that belongs to Jerozolimskie Business Park office complex managed by Apollo Rida. The Gallery has been open since April 2018 and so far it has hosted a number of big, international exhibitions. The scope of art presented at the exhibitions is very wide, from painting to graphics, collage and poster art. The general profile of the gallery is focused on the classics of the avant-garde and contemporary art. The gallery organizes cyclic exhibitions such as International Collage Exhibition, which is very popular each year. Retroavangarda Gallery has quickly become a recognizable place on the dynamically growing art market in Poland.
Retroavangarda Gallery Jerozolimskie Business Park
exhibition curator: Anna Kłos
24.04.2018 – 7.06.2018 Otwarcie Galerii. Międzynarodowa Wystawa Sztuki Współczesnej Grafika / Malarstwo / Plakat.
7.06.2018 – 10.09.2018 Ryszard Gieryszewski – grafika; Jacek Gowik – malarstwo.
20.09.2018 – 31.10.2018 Wystawa Kolekcji. Wystawa organizowana wspólnie z Galerią Korekta w ramach Warsaw by Art 2018.
20.11.2018 – 31.12.2018 Fumio Tomita – grafika.
09.01.2019 – 31.03.2019 Współczesna Sztuka Peruwiańska. Wystawa pod patronatem Ministerstwa Spraw Zagranicznych Peru i Ambasady Peru w Polsce.
12.04.2019 – 15.06.2019 Międzynarodowa Wystawa Kolażu. Wystawa pod patronatem honorowym: Ambasady Argentyny, Ambasady Brazylii, Ambasady Peru.
25.06.2019 – 30.09.2019 Ecuador Poster Bienal – Międzynarodowa Wystawa Plakatu.
10.10.2019 – 31.12.2019 Abstrakcja i Geometria – Międzynarodowa Wystawa Sztuki Współczesnej. Wystawa pod patronatem honorowym Ambasady Argentyny i Ambasady Brazylii.
30.01.2020 – 30.03.2020 „Typo-collages” – wystawa indywidualna Anny Kłos
kurator: prof. Mieczysław Wasilewski
29.09.2020 – 31.12.2020 International Collage Art Exhibition 2020 Międzynarodowa Wystawa Kolażu
22.04.2021 – 15.06.2021 Alvaro Sánchez – solo exhibition
22.06.2021 – 30.09.2021 Koji Nagai – solo exhibition
12.10.2021 – 31.10.2021 Grzegorz Pabel – solo exhibition
Jerozolimskie Business Park in Warsaw, building D